W E L C O M E TO
GREAT COOKING IDEAS.com!
HOORAY! April at LAST!
Spring is here!! (Finally!)
For terrific EASTER IDEAS check out my special page. LOTS of fun, ideas, and spring cheer!
Hello fellow foodies, and welcome to my website! I'm Patti Saunders Mays in Boise, Idaho, and I'm so glad you're here! As the owner of Great Cooking Ideas.com, I'm the one responsible for how often you visit and whether you tell your friends. And I take that responsibility very seriously!
This site is all about casual, easy, affordable recipes that are family friendly and very good. I have a robust sense of humor too, so there's lots of that here as well.
Enjoy! And please come back often! I update and change things all the time; nothing around here gets stale! (ha! no pun...) - Patti
RECIPES are right below.
But before you go one step further...
sign up now for the monthly
Loaded with new recipes and ideas. Everybody loves it! When you do - you get my eBook for FREE "Six Sisters Favorite Recipes" Wrote it myself! :>
GREAT SPRING RECIPES. . .
(click on links for full info)
INGREDIENTS. . .
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/2 - 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage
1/4 cup taco seasoning
4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
12 Jumbo Pasta shells
1 cup salsa
1 cup taco sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Jack cheese
1 1/2 C crushed tortilla chips
1 C sour cream
3 green onions, chopped
A few sliced black olives
DIRECTIONS. . .
1. In a skillet, brown meat over medium heat. Add taco seasoning and mix to combine. Add cubed cream cheese. Cover and simmer so that cream cheese can melt. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Fill cooked shells with about 1-2 T. of meat mixture. In a 9×13 glass baking dish pour salsa to coat the bottom of dish. Place filled taco shells on top then add taco sauce. Cover and bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and sprinkle cheese on top, return to oven for another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with sour cream, and toppings of your choice
NOTE ONE. . . You may want to double because as long as you’re going to the effort of stuffing the shells you might as well double it and freeze half. Besides, you will realize how amazingly delicious it is and you’ll regret not doubling it…
Note two (from Patti). . . I got this yummy recipe and the picture from one of my favorite sources for super delicious recipes. Check 'em out! SA ORGANICS.COM
YUMMMM! BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
No canning equipment needed! !
INGREDIENTS. . .
5½ cups (about 1½ pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
1½ tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup white vinegar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup light brown sugar
1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
½ teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
DIRECTIONS. . .
1. Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1½ hours. Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl and toss with the cucumbers.
2. Combine the granulated sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and ground turmeric in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
3. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
(Recipe and photo from ANOTHER one of my favorite cooking sites, Brown Eyed Baker . And by the way - if you go to the Brown Eyed Baker website, she gives a terrific step-by-step picture tutorial for making these pickles. Check it out!)
Have you ever served chowder or thick soup in an edible bread bowl? They're easy to make and it makes a soup meal extra special.
Now... check out my cheddar cheese and beer soup. What a great soup for these still-chilly days and this recipe gets RAVES! In fact there's even a video showing how to make it. Very cool! Check it out. . .
GREAT TIP! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS...
Put aluminum foil in a bowl, pour the grease in. When it hardens, roll up the foil and throw it out! YESSSS!
HERE'S ANOTHER NEATO TIP THAT REALLY WORKS ...
Keep brownies,cakes,cookies,etc. soft by placing a piece of fresh soft bread in with the baked item and then covering with plastic wrap. Baked items absorb moisture from the bread and they don't dry out. Works like a charm! If the bread gets hard before you've eaten all the goodies, toss it out and put in a fresh piece.
DON'T FORGET to check out the Easter Ideas page. LOTS of ideas and fun! CLICK HERE
ONLY IN IDAHO. . .
"NO WAY are you putting that
saddle on me!"